SAN24B-4. Basic switching RJ-45 Ethernet ports quantity: 24. Switching capacity: 8 Gbit/s. Power connector: DC-in jack. Rack mounting, Form factor: 1U
- Simple-to-use SAN switch with easy-to-install and easy-to-use features designed specifically for the needs of small to medium-size environments
- New levels of performance with 8 Gbps Fibre Channel (FC) technology
- Ports on Demand scalability from 8 to 16 to 24 ports
- Protection for existing 4, 2 and 1 Gbps infrastructure investment while positioning for future technologies
- Foundation for new infrastructure simplification and business continuity solutions for servers running Microsoft® Windows®, UNIX®, Linux® and IBM AIX® and OS/400® operating systems
The IBM System Storage® SAN24B-4 Express fabric switch is designed specifically to address the needs of small to medium-sized SAN environments. It can be used to create a wide range of high-performance SAN solutions, from simple, single-switch configurations to larger, multi-switch configurations which support fabric connectivity and advanced business continuity capabilities. Infrastructure simplification solutions for IBM System x®, BladeCenter® and IBM Power Systems™ servers include storage consolidation and high-availability server clustering with IBM System Storage disk storage arrays. Business continuity solutions include data protection with IBM System Storage tape libraries and devices and IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager data protection software.
A single SAN24B-4 Express switch can serve as the cornerstone of a storage area network (SAN) for those that want to obtain the benefits of storage consolidation and are just beginning to implement FC storage systems. Such an entry-level configuration can consist of one or two FC links to a disk storage array or to a Linear Tape-Open® (LTO®) tape drive. An entry-level eight-port storage consolidation solution can support up to seven servers with a single path to either disk or tape. The Ports on Demand feature is designed to enable a base switch to grow to 16 and 24 ports to support more servers and more storage devices without taking the switch offline. A high-availability solution can be created with redundant switches. This capability is ideal for server clustering environments. Such a configuration can support from 6 to 22 servers, each with dual FC adapters cross-connected to redundant SAN24B-4 Express switches, which are cross connected to a dual-controller storage system. While the focus of the SAN24B-4 Express is as the foundation of small to medium-sized SANs, it can be configured to participate as a full member in an extended fabric configuration with other members of the IBM System Storage and TotalStorage® SAN b-type and m-type families. This capability helps provide investment protection as SAN requirements evolve and grow over time.Common features
- Standard configuration includes 8-port activation and capability to attach to hosts and storage device. Capability to attach to other SAN devices is standard on 2498-B24 and optional on 249824E.
- Eight-port activation option enables pay-as-you-grow scalability to 16 and 24 ports.
- No previous SAN experience needed to use EZSwitchSetup wizard.
- Little or no management required in small fabric configuration.
- Advanced Web Tools provides intuitive, graphic switch management.
- Supports IBM Power Systems and System x, plus selected non-IBM servers.
- Full compatibility with other IBM System Storage and TotalStorage SAN b-type switches, routers and directors and Native Interoperability with current m-type switches and directors helps protect prior SAN investments.
- Ideal for use as an edge switch in larger SANs.
- Access Gateway mode enables seamless connectivity into heterogeneous SAN environments, enhances scalability and simplifies manageability (available only on 24-port configurations).Hardware summary
- 1U 19" packaging designed for rack-mount or table-top.
- Designed for high performance with 8 Gigabit per second (Gbps) fibre channel ports (requires storage hardware that supports 8 Gbps throughput).
- Speed auto-sensing capabilities provide backward compatibility with 4, 2 and 1 Gbps fibre channel links.
- Supports 8, 4 and 2 Gbps link speeds or 4, 2 and 1 Gbps link speeds depending on which SFP optical transceivers are used.
- Shortwave and longwave SFPs with different speeds can be intermixed in the same switch to meet unique requirements.
- Full Fabric operation and Universal Port Operation are available on all ports.
- Inter-switch link (ISL) trunking is supported on all ports.
- Advanced Zoning, intelligent management and monitoring with Web Tools, Fabric Watch and Performance Monitor features.
- Non-blocking architecture designed to provide up to 284 Gbps aggregate throughput with a 24-port configuration.
- Standard Advanced Zoning provides hardware-enforced zoning to protect against unauthorized or unauthenticated storage network access, non-secure management access and World Wide Name spoofing.
- IBM SAN b-type switches and directors use common switch firmware, which helps simplify SAN fabric expansion.
- Firmware upgrades are designed to be non-disruptive.
- Remote access and remote management are available through the fabric using GUI, SNMP and Telnet.